- Newly created position in Canberra, ACT
- Provide capability design support to our Defence clients
- Apply MBSE approaches using innovative tools & technology
We’re a team of people who believe no problem is too big. A team of people that despite sharing the same passion for finding answers, comes from diverse backgrounds and different experiences.
We are leaders in systems thinking and adopt a rigorous, complex systems engineering approach based on best practices gleaned from around the world.
We use it in Defence, to help protect the Australian way of life. We use it in space, to deliver emerging capabilities in a rapidly expanding sector. We use it in transport to help governments and organisations make better decisions. We even use it to save lives through cutting edge conceptual design in the biomedical industry.
Our team, founded in 2001, headquartered in Adelaide and with a presence across Australia and New Zealand, puts all the pieces of the system together to make sense of a complex world.
About the opportunity
We’re excited to invite applications for a Systems Engineer to join our growing Defence and Space team in Canberra, ACT.
Your key focus will be undertaking capability design activities to support the development of Air platform and weapons systems.
We’re looking for a talented person who has:
- A curiosity about a broad range of Defence and Space capabilities
- A strong interest in systems engineering, developing systems architectures and learning and applying model-based systems engineering tools and methods
This opportunity will see you:
- Work collaboratively with client teams to define future capability and develop capability definition documentation, including Operational Concept Documents, Function and Performance Specifications, and Test and Evaluation Master Plans
- Provide Capability Design Document (CDD) development guidance
- Apply Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE) approaches to support the development of concepts and specifications
To be successful in these roles you will have:
- Experience in systems engineering on Defence Acquisition projects
- A Bachelor of Engineering, or equivalent, accredited, or able to be accredited with Engineers Australia
- A passion for systems engineering and architecting systems
- The ability to solve problems and make decisions in the face of uncertainty
What we’d love you to have:
- Experience in the development of Defence capability definition documents
- Experience working in the strategy and concepts phase of the Defence Capability Lifecyle
- Experience using MBSE tools such as Cameo Systems Modeller / MagicDraw, GENESYS
- Experience using DOORS/DOORS NG for requirements management
- CSEP accreditation with the International Council on Systems Engineering (INCOSE)
- Applicants are required to be Australian Citizens and be eligible to obtain and maintain Australian Defence Security Clearance at NV1, NV2 preferred.
What we’ll offer you:
- The opportunity to work with specialists in the field of Model Based Systems Engineering and systems thinking
- A comprehensive professional development framework with opportunities for development activities and career progression
- Genuine work life balance with a range of flexible work and WFH options
- Purchase Additional Leave scheme
- A range of social events
- Professional membership allowance
- Annual company retreat
Are you curious?
Applications should be addressed to Donna Dittmar (Senior Talent Acquisition Partner) and submitted through SEEK, not via email.
At Shoal, your job will involve exploring ideas that can be a part of and help shape the smartest solutions to the world’s most complex problems – and we’ll both support you to do it AND give you time to think about it.
You will be allocated time to get involved and explore ‘big ideas’, participate in R&D as part of our moon-shot project, join our ‘tackling poverty’ project, develop through our Career Progression Framework, banter with our Ideas Club, or try to reach the top of our Mario Kart ladder (warning – the competition is fierce).
We know that the best solutions need deep thought, so we invest in what will spark ideas and bring solutions to life.